LESSON 39 MY DOG DASH 第三十九课 我的狗的挫折
My little dog was once stolen from me. 我的狗曾经被偷过。
After being away for some months, he one day came back with a long string tied round his neck. 几个月以后的一天,它脖子上戴着一条长线又回来了。
He had broken away from the man who had stolen him. Oh, how glad I was to see my good dog back again! 它从把它偷走的男人那跑了回来。我见到我的狗再次回来我太高兴了。
The thief was taken to the court. 这个贼被带到了法庭。
He swore that the dog was his; and I was asked if I could give any proof that the dog was mine. 他发誓说狗是他的,然后我被问有没有证据证明狗是我的。
I put my mouth to the dog's ear, and said something known only to us two. 我把嘴巴放在狗的耳朵上,说着只有我们两个知道的事情。
Dash at once stood up on his hind1 legs, and went through some tricks I had taught him. Dash立刻后退站立起来,做了一些我曾经教过的把戏。
I guided him with my stick, and set the whole court in a roar with the fun. 我用树枝指导它,使整个法庭都大笑了起来。
The thief was asked to make the dog do the same thing; but Dash shrunk away, and would not go near him. 这个贼被要求让狗做同样的事情,但是Dash退缩了,不愿意靠近他。
The judge saw that the dog was mine. 法官明白了这狗是我的。
The thief was sent to prison, and Dash was set free. 这个贼被送进了监狱,Dash也获得了自由。
Amid the cheers of the people who stood outside the court, Dash and I bounded merrily home. 在法庭外的人们欢乐声中Dash和我开心的往家走去。